Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mr. Hassel

Michael C. Hassel
May 17, 1950 - April 8, 2010
I want to tell you all about a very special person. His name was Mr Hassel. I met Mr Hassel at Estrella Jr High, he was my homeroom teacher, my 8th grade Literature & Language teacher and he was also in charge of Student Council, which I was in. Mr Hassel also organized the end of the year trip to Magic Mountain every year, which everyone looked forward too. I was lucky enough that I got to go both years of Jr High, all four years of high school and then as a chaperon for three years after high school, it was so much fun.

As most of you probably know I HATE to read and write, but Mr Hassel had a way of making it fun, he played music in class, one of his favorites was "Wind beneath my wings" by Bet Midler and there was another one but all I can remember was the umm but but part =), and let us order pizza for lunch. He was the best! Our relationship didn't end there, once in High School he became my Badminton and Basketball Coach. He was also the announcer for all the home football games and travel with the football team to keep stats. When my parents started going through their divorce it wasn't easy for Erin and I and he took us in under his wing and was there for us. He helped in so many ways, I don't ever think I got to tell him how much it meant to me to have him there. Our friendship continued past High School and it wasn't but a few years ago that we lost contact, I am very sad for that. Mr Hassel was a very special man who touched not just my heart but so many others. I will miss him so much and am so sad that I did not get to say good bye or tell him thank you for all he did for me. To all those who had him as a teacher or coach you have to know we were very lucky to have such an amazing man as our teacher and to those who didn't you truly missed out on having one of the best teachers & coaches in the State of Arizona. My prayers go out to his family. I love you Mr Hassel, may you rest in peace.

Here was his obituary that appeared in the AZ Republic on Sunday, April 18th.

Michael Hassel 59, passed away April 8, 2010. A gifted teacher and high school basketball coach for over 35 years, he will be remembered as someone always willing to offer a helping hand, quick to forgive and remind you that laughter was the best medicine. He kept things simple and never sweat the small stuff. Mike will be deeply missed by his sisters Peg, Mary Lou, Kathleen and Barb, his nieces Jenn, Megan and Jill, nephews Jamie, Scott, Ben and Justin and his best friend Desire. His warm spirit and kind heart was one of a kind. So we say goodbye with this thought: "He was a lamplighter. He has taken his bright candle and has gone into another room we cannot find, but anyone can tell where he has been by all the little lights he left behind". A memorial service will be held at Hansen Mortuary, 8314 N. 7th St. on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 from 6:30 to 7:30 pm. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made in his name to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital , www.stjude.org/waystohelp. If you want to share with the family you may copy the donation to miketeacher@netscape.net. Memories may be left in the guestbook at http://www.michael-hassel.last-memories.com/ or at http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcentral/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=141912678

No comments: