Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas with the Bates Family

As I have said before, the holidays are usually a pretty busy and crazy time for everyone, they usually feel rushed and like you never really get to spend the time you want with your family. Not to mention having to firemen and a nurse in the family, it seems like one of them always works the actual holiday. The Bates family decided last year to start celebrating some of the holidays not on the holidays, so we can actually enjoy our time together with out feeling so rushed. So this year we celebrated our Bates Family Christmas up here in our home on the 21st & 22nd.

Everyone arrived early afternoon on Monday, we got all our snacks out and just hung out for a bit. We then ate Christmas Dinner and after dinner we started our 2nd annual gingerbread house contest. Our teams were chosen this year by drawing names. Dan & Dave were partners, Lori & Jordan, Melissa & Alyssa & Jim & Cyndy, A walked around ate candy & supervised. =) We had 1 hour to build at the end of one hour our neighbors were gonna come over and judge the finished houses.

Little did we know Dan was trying to bribe the judges by texting them while we/he was building. Jon our neighbor said that a bikini would help him sway to one house over another. So what did Dan do? Yup, he went and put on one of my bikinis to try and get that extra vote. =) LMBO everyone about died when he dropped his robe, and was standing there in a BIKINI it was hilarious! Poor Jordan & Alyssa.

Anyway. back to the contest. The bikini didn't help Dan too much because Lori & Jordan took 1st place with their house, Dan & Dave's house tied with Melissa & Alyssa's for 2nd place & Grandma & Grandpas took 3rd place. Here are the houses below, do you agree with the judges?

Lori & Jordan's House
1st Place
Dan & Dave's House
tied for 2nd Place

Melissa & Alyssa's House
tied for 2nd Place
Grandma & Grandpa's House
3rd Place
Dan working the extra votes
1st place winners
Lori & Jordan
You may be asking yourself what do the winners get? They get...bragging rights till next Christmas. =)
Come back soon to see more pictures and hear more about our Bates Family Christmas.

3 comments:

The Olson Family said...

I agree with the Judges! Sorry M.

The Olson Family said...

Oh wait I did not comment on the Bikini. Um D you should leave the bikini wearing to your wife, but LMBO.

Grandma Cyndy said...

I love seeing the ideas the creative side of the family comes up with for gingerbread houses. Seems like Grandpa and I barely get started and theirs are already wonderful. I must admit this is one of my favorites traditions we have started. Now for the swim suit and swaying the judges.... Oh by the way Melissa has managed to get D to dress has a cheerleader, swimsuit contestant, and I remember a toto at a Firemens parade, as a mother I wonder what is next? Only joking I thought it was halious but I think Jordan might have been scared...I'm laughing. Love ya